Where Tradition Joins Innovation.
Panama Pacifico is located on the 1,400-hectare site of the former U.S. Howard Air Force Base, which opened in 1942. Boasting an 8,500-foot runway and status as the only jet-capable U.S. airfield south of the Rio Grande, Howard was the bastion of U.S. air power in Central and South America for nearly six decades—home to some 20,000 service personnel and their families.
In late 1999, the base was decommissioned and the land turned over to the Panamanian government as part of the historic Panama Canal Treaty. In 2004, the Government opened the door for its transformation into Panama’s most modern and sustainable new town: Panama Pacifico.